Sunday, June 23, 2013

Running

Summer’s here and my friend Ally has convinced me, for two consecutive weeks, to go running out about in Vancouver.

Last weekend, we went running around Stanley Park. I was there way too early and while waiting for her, ended up talking to a Romanian veteran. He had so much to tell me that he can actually write a book about it and I think it’ll sell. But I’ll save that for another post.

Anyway, I haven’t been to Stanley Park for two++ years and I haven’t ran that long for a while, so I was feeling uneasy about running an 8-10km run path. But anyhow, I prevailed, and here’s the result:

 Photo 2013-06-15 12 51 15 PM

I didn’t like my run during this time because I was wearing my jacket, which was heavy, and during the middle of the run, the sun showed up all of a sudden. Needless to say, it was very very warm the second half of the run. Plus the fact that I didn’t put any sunblock, so there you go, I was dark right after the run.

On the other hand though, who would not enjoy running when this is the view that you see:

Photo 2013-06-15 7 24 40 AM Photo 2013-06-15 7 24 44 AM

Photo 2013-06-15 7 40 41 AM

It was a rather tiring yet fulfilling run. I was dead tired the last 2 km, but right after I got to the finish line, and started walking instead of running, I felt better once again. Of course it helped that I gobbled up a nice breakfast of two scrambled eggs plus two toasts after! Think about it, by 9 AM, I’ve done my morning exercise and breakfast. I’m guessing on a Saturday morning, majority of Vancouver are still in bed!

It seems like I want to torture myself because this Saturday morning, once again, Ally invited me to run and I said yes once again. But this time, instead of Stanley Park, we ran via False Creek area. I think the running path of Stanley Park is much better because the path is paved. As for the False Creek path, there are some that are stone and gravel paths. Still pretty nice.

Ok, here are my results:

Photo 2013-06-22 10 31 25 AM

Compared to the previous run, it looks like I’ve improved my pace quite a bit. Not much though. I still can’t run the 10k under 1 hour. That’s my target for this year.

As usual, the view is magnificent. But the best part? Eating at Terra Breads Cafe right after. I don’t think I was just swayed by the fact that I was tired and hungry after the long run, but really, I had one of the best sandwich paninis and hot chocolate by a long mile compared to other stores. I would definitely go back here. Maybe next week again?

Photo 2013-06-22 7 29 11 AMPhoto 2013-06-22 3 02 14 PM 

For some reason, I still ask myself why I want to run. I run during the weekdays (1-3 times) and then now on the weekends as well!

And so I’ve thought and thought about it recently, and here are some of the answers I have:

1. Running is an exercise, and exercise is something I always crave for. I feel lousy when I haven’t gone exercising for a long time.

2. Running allows me to see different places from a different view.

3. I am inspired to run more whenever I see a senior citizen still running, or a family who is running with the dad or mom pushing the baby cart (with their kid in it). When I get to have a family of my own, I’d like to bring my kids with my on my runs and exploration (even if they don’t do the running and I do the pushing).

4. Running makes me feel free. It makes me forget a lot of problems, sadness, and it makes me feel happier!

5. Whenever I get to improve my time, or maybe finish a 5 or 10 km, I feel really accomplished. And the fact that you, on your own, worked hard for it. It feels great.

6. And best of all, you look forward to reward after the run!

Maybe I’ll find more reasons next time. But for now, I still enjoy torturing myself. :)

* By the way, I am using Runkeeper app and it is fabulous. I love love the data it’s able to save, and most importantly for me, is the map and the pace (splits).

3 comments:

rhyschiu said...

It feels much better to eat that awesome breakfast after a nice tiring exercise... then off to sleep! ;)

Sally Mae said...

nice post bev! As for me, I just feel happy when I run (happy hormones ftw!) :)

bev said...

@Sally - oo nga noh, I forgot about the happy hormones!