Wednesday, May 1, 2013

run and walk

I dragged myself out of bed around 11 AM to go for a jog outside.

I got a new nike armband so I wanted to test it out as well. It’s quite small, but can easily fit my keys, my bus pass, and some money. Unfortunately, my galaxy cellphone won’t fit. Too bad, I wanted to take pictures of where I end up running. Maybe next time when I just take a walk.

NikeArmband

Since it was quite cold outside, I wore three layers of clothing, my shirt, a long sleeves shirt, plus my jacket (when I was on my way home, I saw another running, wearing only shorts and a shirt! LOL). After running a kilometer on an uphill slope, I was dead tired, breathing heavily and my lungs had some trouble adjusting with the cold weather for some reason. I was planning to head off to a farther shopper’s drug mart to purchase my bus pass, but I ended up retreating and instead went to a nearby shopper’s drug mart instead.

And while walking around for a bit, I just realized how different the place is from 2 years ago (that last time I came here). Along this main street, I see a lot of new shops, cafes, and even a new yoga place. I saw this one European cafe that sells fresh European breads. I don’t know what are European breads but I will try it out a little later. It’s just around a 5 minute walk away.

Walking or running out and about is a good way to explore the city. Although I’ve only started exploring this part of the city, maybe as the weeks come by, and with the weather getting warmer, I might be able to explore and discover nice little places and shops further out of the area I’m living at. Hopefully next week, I’d find some time to walk around downtown, or maybe go running again near False Creek area too.

I wish I could’ve done something like this in Manila. I just think our city back home is not pedestrian friendly. Maybe the weather limits us too, or the places are too crowded. Or maybe I’m just lazy when I’m back home. But I’d like to envision something like this in the Philippines, where we have parks in every area, or maybe where it’s a quiet place and people can freely walk around to relax (not only in villages and subdivisions, but all around the city). I think slowly we’re getting to this mindset too. I remember walking around in MOA area by the bay, that’s a pretty good place to walk around. And Ayala Triangle’s a nice start – where there’s a park in the middle of a bustling city. Nuvali’s supposed to be developed with eco in mind. One can only hope for the best.

And hopefully next time, I can run a bit longer than just 1.5 km. Haha

No comments: