Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Adjustment Bureau

Harry Mitchell: Free will is a gift that you only use when you have to fight for it


As part of our regular tuesday, we went to Metrotown again and watched a movie. This time, it was the sci-fi/romance movie "Adjustment Bureau" starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. Nice premise. My friend said it reminded him of this twilight zone episode way back in the 90s. Anyway, it has an interesting synopsis. It's about a group of people of makes these minor adjustments in our daily lives, that we don't know of, that literally alters our future.

This movie reminds me of a question I often ask myself... is everything that's happening right now, part of this bigger plan that's designed for us? Are events that we go through, no matter how big or small they are simply adjustments to a future that's being readied for us? I always wondered about that. Do I accept what I have right now, what I am right now and what I've experienced as part of a great plan that.. in my faith says, that God has destined for me?

Which begs the question, what about the free will? Do we control our destiny?

Too many questions, very few answers. But what I believe in (for now anyway) is that everything happens for a reason. We do still have our free will. We can still make decision on our own, but eventually, we will still get to our destination. If let's say our life starts from point A and ends in point B, even though it's not a straight line towards point B, we will still end up at point B, no matter how many twists and turns we go through first.

Which is why I always try to convince myself that God must've a reason why I'm here in this situation, why I'm like this right now, at this point in time. What his plans are, I probably will never be able to guess. But with faith and trust, I know the destiny He has planned for me is something I will forever be grateful for.

And I'd like to end it by saying, although I didn't want to be sent back to Canada again last year, now I'm truly grateful that I am here right now. There must really be a reason for everything. I don't know the details yet, but I'm just... happy right now.

1 comment:

mae said...

I agree. I also believe that God has destined us for something and that everything that is happening is for us to be ready for it. We just have to trust Him that whatever it is, it is good and the best for us. I also have a lot of questions but I think, just as faith, we don't have to understand everything for human mind itself is limited compared to God. I'm also letting God control my life while I'm enjoying His blessings, being happy, and doing my best to glorify Him with everything I do, though I'm still a work in progress.

- a nice post by the way. :) take care my friend :) I will be praying for you.