Wednesday, July 27, 2011

BC Lions!

One more thing I can finally cross out on the list of things I want to experience is… watching a live Football game! Nope, not soccer, but the hard core American Football sport!

My friend from the gym has season tickets for the BC Lions home game and last July 22 was a home game so he invited me (or I invited myself) to watch. It’s the first time I’ve watched this sport live. I used to only watch football from the movies and maybe some highlights from ESPN or TSN, but not watch the whole game.

IMG_1702

BC Lions is British Columbia’s home grown football team in the Canadian Football League (CFL). If USA has NFL, Canada has its own version which is the CFL. Although NFL is popular in the states, I don’t think CFL is nearly as popular in Canada as it wants it to be. It might be because Canada is more of a hockey country, just like how Philippines is a basketball country.

Mind you, I’m not really a great big fan of American Football. Perhaps because it was never big in the Philippines or maybe it’s just too much testosterone. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed watching this match! I was into the game! My friend was kind enough to teach me the rules of the game throughout the match. By the end of the game, I knew what a 1st down, 3rd down, yards gained, punt was!

IMG_1703IMG_1704

And you know how it is in live games, everyone’s just in it! I heard a guy seating a couple rows behind me shouting “Knock his head off!!!” and then another lady a couple of rows down dancing like crazy! It was all fun. As for me, I ended up stomping my feet (they do that to distract the opponents while they’re making their plays), shouting and cheering for the big boys.

Unfortunately, BC Lions lost though. But what the heck, it was a fun night, my first live football match, and that’s another first for me!

No comments: