Sunday, July 10, 2011

Grouse Grind So Far

As part of my fitness theme for this year’s Canada “work/vacation”, I’ve been challenging myself to do the grouse grind, not just do it, but improve on my time. Back in 2009, I bought myself the grind timer so that I can keep track of my hikes. Last year though, I went home to Manila before the grouse grind opened, so I didn’t have any hikes under my belt last year.

But this time, since I am extended here for another month, I’ve set a goal for myself to do the grind every week. It’s a good calorie burning exercise, and endurance training as well. So far, I’ve done three grouse grinds this season, with time improvements compared to two years ago:

GrouseGrindTime-20110709

Last night’s grind was my personal best so far. I’m trying to crack the one hour mark, so hopefully, in the next few weeks, I’ll be able to do so. And it only means one thing, more training in the gym! In fact, I did go to the gym earlier and got a 30 minute run as well (but I barely hit the 5km mark!), and did some nice circuit training too.

I thought I was going to make the one hour mark last night, but my time in the 3rd quarter wasn’t good. Took me a good 20 minutes there, which ideally should’ve been just 15 minutes. The change I did this time was to slower my pace the first quarter. In my second grind, it took me 15 minutes to reach the first quarter mark, but I was so tired afterwards, thus the 1:10 result. Last night, my first quarter was 20 minutes, but I had more energy all throughout.

What I really want to improve on are my legs and my heart. Some times, I just have to stop because my heart’s beating like crazy already. And at times, my heart’s ok, but my legs are just giving up. More training needed!

4 comments:

ledabrigino said...

how exactly does a "grind timer" work...? at ano itsura non? haha sorry wala nyan dito :P

bev said...

@Leda - For the grind timer, I have a card that I swipe against the "Grind timer" before I start, then I swipe again when I finish.

You can check this site out as well:
http://www.vanliving.net/VL/trips/2010/trip056GrouseGrind.htm

vyki said...

impressive! :) buti ka pa nakakapaggym and exercise! ako nakukulangan nanaman! :|

bev said...

@Vyki - dapat maging part of your lifestyle, para hindi ka na tamarin mag gym :)