Thursday, July 3, 2008

Living alone for a month

Starting tomorrow morning, I will be living all alone, by myself at my aunt's place here in Vancouver. The Ng Family is having a great big reunion in the Philippines this weekend and they're leaving tonight. Bad timing since I will be the only one who'll be missing the great reunion. Everyone from Canada is going to the Philippines to celebrate our Grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. Oh well. It's sad. But I just try to look at it at a different perspective - that I get to live alone for a month, which will be a great learning experience for me.

In fact, being here for a couple of weeks, I already learned how to wash my clothes, learned how to cook rice, clean the house, etc. In the Philippines, I don't do household chores. But here, I'm doing all those things! Hard, but it's something I believe any person should eventually learn.

My aunts have prepared a lot of stuff, food and everything for me. I think majority of them (and my mother, especially) are worried that I am left alone there. I don't know why I'm not that worried. Maybe it's just that I am excited because it's the first time I'll be doing that.

Earlier, they also let me drive their car, as practice. Since I would have to bring my cousin to the airport for her flight back to Toronto (she'll be going to the Philippines as well for just 10 days, then back here in Vancouver, then to Toronto where she lives). I can't pick her up as I have work the day she arrives.

Driving here is different. It's easier, but you can't drive "Manila" style here. You'd have to give way. People have right of way, and buses as well. So if there's a pedestrian, you better stop, unlike in the Philippines. Here, when they have a three lane road, it's three lane, and that's it! Although they told me I can use the card while they're away. But I think I'd rather not. Commuting here is easy and simple anyway.

2 comments:

mae said...

til kailan ka mag-isa? ingat ka parati.. =)

Anonymous said...

thats good a least you have a place to stay. its very though here since kasama ko bossing sa bahay ive been squattering around for other places. booo