Monday, May 13, 2013

Establishing a Morning Routine

One of the good things about being back to working from 9-5 is that I have the whole morning to be able to do what I’ve wanted to start doing even when I was back in Manila – create a nice morning routine.

They say that habits are hard to break, but it’s the same the other way around, habits are hard to establish too. And since I’ve been here, I have attempted to start an exercise habit for myself.

Beginning last week, I started running for around 20-30 minutes in the morning. Every Monday, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, I wake up at around 5:45 AM, and then go out the streets to run around. The weather’s been pretty supportive so I’ve had no problem dragging myself out of bed and enjoying the run outside. I still wear three layers (including jacket), unlike other runners I see, who wears one layer of shirt only. After a few minutes of running anyway, your body heats up and you won’t feel the cold anymore.

Afterwards, I walk around a bit more to cool down, and then go back home to get ready for work.

I try to change up what I do on Saturday. Since this is a non work day, I decided to explore something new.

Last Saturday, to make things a little different, I went for a 1.5 hour walk around Queen Elizabeth Park instead of running. It was quite the walk too. Based on my pedometer, I had 9000+ steps done! And the walk wasn’t that bad either. The weather was cool, and the scenery was very pretty.

20130511_073703 20130511_074613 

20130511_080054This is as much of the sun that I saw that morning 

Next week, apparently the Grouse Grind is now open so I might just do that (if I don’t get lazy as I need to take the bus to get there). I’d prefer to doing it on my own first (no pressure from other friends who are way faster than me!). I haven’t done this for two years so hopefully, I can still do good. Or maybe I might go for a bike ride, who knows.

Tomorrow is the start of another week and I' hope I can continue this routine. I read somewhere that if I can do this for 4-6 weeks, then that I’ve probably succeeded in making it a habit and I might just find it hard to break this “good habit” by then. That’s one of my mini goals anyway. Once I’ve established this, then that’s when I’ll incorporate an additional activity and then establish a new habit once again. I’ll take it one step at a time.

Essentially, the overall goal is to be able to keep healthy when I am here.

3 comments:

ledabrigino said...

woww your environment is really pretty and healthy! i wish i have that kind of walking route in Makati :-| hehe! (ayala triangle is the most comparable, i guess. but that's quite far from the condo. huhu)

bev said...

This is what I hope mangyari sa Philippines, mag focus sila on developing and maintaining parks. Hindi puros commercial establishments lang.

Leda said...

actually, most developers are into "going green na", yung combining nature and commercial places in one. if u notice.. ganyan na ang greenbelt, high street (where u can even bring pets), eastwood, etc. they're just not that super-accessible from residential areas. well, unless ikaw yung expat na nakatira sa taas ng serendra. haha! and i guess that's because ncr is such a congested place :(