Thursday, March 22, 2012

Amah’s Siopao

One of the things I look forward to when my Amah (a.k.a. Lola) is around, is her siopao! She is an amazing cook and cooks pretty much anything you ask and one of her specialties (and she’s known for it around the Ng family and extended relatives) is her siopao! Yummy delicious homemade siopaos. And after a week of waiting, she finally made one batch this morning!

siopao

See, I already had one right after.

Truth be told, I only only eat her siopao, and no other siopao. Well, I did get to try a few siopao’s here and there but it just never really lived up to my Amah’s siopao.

Ask anyone from my family and relatives what they look forward to from Amah’s cooking? Siopao!

This very food actually helped them get through a rough patch during their mid years while in Manila. According to the stories of my father, there was once a time when my kong kong’s (a.k.a. lolo) hardware business failed and went bankrupt. During these hard times, my Amah utilized her talent and skills and started some food ordering service. And one of the favorites among her clients were her siopao (and lumpia if I’m not mistaken).

I always asked them why they didn’t pursue a food business of some sorts since she had the talent and skill. But they always said, that at that time, it was a good way to make ends meet, but later on, as they got older, it was just not something they wanted to stress over with. It was something she loved to do, and even loved it more when the grandchildren came and started asking for her cooking! She’s the type that can dissect a food that we ate from a restaurant and will cook it at home afterwards. She’s that good.

It is unfortunate though that at least from my immediate family, no one got her talent and love for cooking. haha! I guess the best I can do for now is just to savor her food!

5 comments:

rhyschiu said...

Did u lost count how many u ate? Looks like 3 of them were missing, not just 1

ledabrigino said...

wow looks good! i LOVE homemade complicated food! lol. i believe though that cooking can be learned (rather than a talent), i hope your amah passes this recipe and skill to one of u in the family. i think this will make a good biz!

bev said...

@Rhys - haha... just 1 for me right after she finished. I think my sister mom and kongkong ate some too! :P

@Leda - yes, actually, i already have the recipe (just to be sure!) but I'm planning to have another teaching session from her. She's going to make kua-pao tomorrow. :)

sally said...

haha naalala ko tuloy papa ko sya mahilig sa siopao sa pamilya namin :)

kaya niya madetermine yung ingredients by tasting?wow jang geum pala ang ahmah mo grabe galing!sana may ganun din akong talent hehe :D

bev said...

@Sally yep! galing noh?