Monday, March 1, 2010

Canada wins!

Hockey in Canada is what Boxing is to the Philippines.

The last event of the Olympics was hockey and it was Canada versus USA. CTV showed aerial shots from Livecity and boy was it a sight! The place was packed!! For a couple of hours, everyone was glued to the big screen, or tv sets to watch probably one of the most thrilling hockey games the Winter Olympics has ever seen. And with a show of patriotism, most of the people were wearing red.

Today was the first time I watched a game of hockey and boy was it exciting. Canada was leading 2-1 over USA in the third quarter and with less than a minute left, USA plays an "empty net" (no goalie), scores, and ties the game! So game goes into overtime, another 20 minutes. During overtime, whoever scores first, wins the gold. I think under around 7 minutes 30 seconds, of course, the most popular player scores the goal - Sidney Crosby for Canada and whole Canada erupts in cheers. People in Robson, LiveCity, even in Dundas Square Toronto was cheering.

Awesome scene. Similar to when Pacman wins his boxing matches. Unbelievable.

This 2010 Olympics games, since I am here in Vancouver, has really gotten into me. I have started appreciating winter sports altogether! Now I know what the slalom event is!

I even bought myself the most sought after and most popular 2010 Winter Olympics souvenir - the red mittens!!

No comments: